Last night I was watching a movie, The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks. It is a story about life on cell block E, death row, otherwise known as the Green Mile. Tom Hanks was the captain of that block and was in charge of all executions at this particular prison. It is a great movie. I recommend it to all viewers above the age of 14. There was a rule, "What ever happens on the mile, stays on the mile." Meaning no one who worked at cell block E talked about the sensitive things seen there to the outside world. I actually caught myself watching to see if they could actually keep things private. In this world we see more often the lack of privacy. Proverbs 16:28 says, "A perverse man stirs up dissension and a gossip separates close friends."
In this day and time we value privacy so much because it is a precious resource. To have a friend who you can confide in is a blessed thing. Someone who will listen and not talk to others about the intimate details of your situation is a valued treasure. I have a buddy named Carrel. He has been the best friend when it comes to listening to my problems. He has not always had answers for me but he is a great friend who simply listens. Often times the best he could offer is prayer. I was so blessed because I knew when I told him something private it would be as safe as if putting the words in a vault. I have since moved away from Carrel, but I often think about the honest encouragement and accountability we were able to provide one another because of the trust we shared.
Do you have that person in your life? Someone you can share anything with? Your faults? Your failures? Your crazy hopes and wild dreams? If so then recognize how blessed you are, and if not maybe you should start by being more like that yourself. Good luck in your quest as you search for a friend who lives by the same code as the Green Mile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment